Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Registering Suri

Well, Luis and I went today to register Suri at the local Health Department, so we could get a birth certificate and a SSN card. They have never had anyone come in to register a homebirth before, so needless to say. They weren't the friendliest of people. I had tried on more than one occasasion to get the paperwork from them before hand, but they wouldn't give it to me. I won't go into details, but they did remember me from my previous visits.

They tried to give us the run around, but I just walked all over the lady and told her we were here to register a homebirth and Luis caught the baby. Registering her wasn't as painful as I thought it would be, based on my previous experience with this particular health department. According to our midwife, other health departments are much better to dealing with this issue since they have dealt with homebirths, (we have several, Amish and Mennonite communities here.) The lady at the health department implied we'd have a problem with the paperwork, but I don't think so. They just haven't moved into the 21st century.

As a side note.. the Health Department was as old if not older then Glenn Edwards in Lincoln. Sad, huh!!

Also, we changed the baby's name to Suri, it seemed to fit her better. I don't remember what it means, I'll have to ask Luis.

1 comment:

Amber Bjarnson said...

did you eliminate her middle name? Suri is a cute name