Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tortellini and Tomato Soup with Rosemary

So today I decided that I wanted to make a quick and easy soup.  I haven't made it in a while, so I was worried the girls, especially Kiyari, wouldn't eat it. I'm not sure where I got the recipe, all I know is I cut it out of a magazine a couple of years ago.

Once again the recipe was a huge success.  I've modified the recipe only slightly.  I used 2 fresh tomatoes instead of a 14 1/2 oz can of diced tomatoes. I also let the soup cook a bit longer than the recipe called for since I was using fresh tomatoes.  I was also 2 cups short for the 6 cups needed for the chicken broth, so I replaced the 2 cups with water and then just adjusted the taste with salt and pepper.  And then I used Parmesan cheese instead of pesto.  In total the recipe took maybe 30 mins from start to finish.

I should also mention I made the soup a couple hours earlier, I just omited the noodles and then added them about 5 minutes before we were ready to eat.  Here is the recipe in its entirety.  Enjoy!!

Tortellini & Tomato Soup with Rosemary

Makes 4 to 6 servings (about 9 cups)  Prep: 10 minutes  Cook: 20 minutes

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14 1/2 oz) can of diced tomatoes, drained or 2 large tomatoes diced
6 cups of chicken broth
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
12 oz tortellini or 9 oz of ravioli, fresh
3 cups of chopped spinach
salt and pepper to taste
Toppings: prepared pesto or freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic and saute' until softened.  Add tomato and cook 1 minute.  Stir in broth and rosemary, and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered 5 minutes.  Add Pasta, stirring to blend and simmer 5 to 6 minutes more.

2. Add spinach, salt and pepper. Simmer stirring often, 3 more minutes or until spinach and pasta is just tender.  Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with cheese or a spoonful of pesto.



No comments: